Monday, July 1, 2013

Enjoy the Silence

Calmly by Olga Palma. 
I shall be taking off from the eve of July 8th through August 5th: one lunar month. I will be reachable through email, or periodically through Facebook personal mails. If you need me or just want to talk in an email—I am certainly still available for that. And for the few of you who have my phone number, I will also be reachable by phone. However, I will not be posting on my blogs, posting on my Facebook, “pressing ‘like’” on Facebook, commenting in public forums, commenting on public pages or internet groups, commenting on others’ blogs, et cetera.

I am doing this for reasons which I would like to make clear. 

I take off this time to stand with my polytheist brothers and sisters. Though we do not share the same religion, though we often don’t share the same gods, we share a devotion to our many, individual deities. I support you all, I bless your deities, I bless your ancestors.

I share the sense of balancing on the razor’s edge between hope of the renaissance of our ways, and despair as monism, dualism, monotheism, archetypalism, and atheism erode our ways as surely as infiltration of mainstream monotheisms do. And often, many of us are surprised at just how thorough their work is done.


A few of us have even had difficulties within our own religious groups because of our devotion to the many gods *as* the many gods. Sometimes it isn’t just a matter of orthopraxy. How much does it matter that an individual does the right motions in a rite when they’re busy thinking, “This god doesn’t really exist”? How can a rite give homage to a god when the rite, even though done with correct conduct and action, is at its foundation insincere? Sincerity and respect are intimate companions of one another.

Polytheists, know that I stand with you, even when I’m not physically present. My voice isn’t the loudest by far, my pantheon little-known, my ways even less known, so I wonder how much my silence will be noted. I wonder how many of you will even know of my well-wishes for you. But here I stand, nonetheless, a small, firm, quiet hand of a sister in your own. You are not alone.

I seek to bring awareness that polytheists have been misunderstood, vilified, and undermined. For defining
The Silence by Johann Heinrich Füssli, 1799-1801
our boundaries and making clear right and wrong, we have been miscast as violent fundamentalists who force a religion upon others. We do not force anyone to do what we do; we do not force anyone to share our religions. Defining what is right and what is wrong is a very different thing than forcing someone to act one way or another. Disagreement and communication of boundaries are not the same as violence or taking away free agency, and disagreement is not synonymous with intolerance. Conversely, agreement is not always a sign of peace, goodness, right, coexistence, or tolerance.

Even as I take this time off, I continue my devotions to the deities, meditating, and continuing to take note of my dreams, and contemplating. I pray to the deities that we will be strengthened, healed, made whole again, that we shall find and know community, and that we may always have enough abundance to continue our work. I hope that a few of us will be able to carve out a niche together in cyberspace, and I hope that one day a few of us may even meet.

If you wish me to pray to your deities, or to my deities on your behalf for the sake of our work and for the sake of polytheism, please feel free to email me. If you need to chat in the interim and hear a friendly voice, please feel free to contact me. Rest assured our deities are moving in to an active period. 

Hail our deities, and hail our ancestors.

Let our devotion to our deities, and let art be both balm and challenge for the soul.



5 comments:

  1. I think it is very cool of you to say "If you wish me to pray to your deities, or to my deities on your behalf..."

    I have said many a prayer to the gods and goddesses I worship, on the behalf of many folk I know (mainly Christian). I simply pray that their god helps them. I believe that every god/dess of every religion exists; I simply do not worship any deities except the ones of my religion, though I respect them all. May the gods and goddesses of your religion bless and guide you always. You're a great person!
    Posting as "anonymous", but this is Kayleen. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kayleen, thanks for reading. There are a few "deities" that people may claim as deities but I would disagree about--for instance, if someone wanted me to pray to "Caffeina" on his/her behalf while insisting that she is truly a goddess, I'd have to disagree and give the person an odd look. But most of the deities known as being deities for aeons--I believe that most of them exist. I think what you do is beautiful. And thank you for your blessing!
      Yishlam le-ki, Kayleen-a
      Peace and wellbeing to you, Kayleen.

      Delete
  2. Hello, Tess, you cannot imagine how much I appreciate this post, especially this:

    "I share the sense of balancing on the razor’s edge between hope of the renaissance of our ways, and despair as monism, dualism, monotheism, archetypalism, and atheism erode our ways as surely as infiltration of mainstream monotheisms do. And often, many of us are surprised at just how thorough their work is done. "

    A few of us have even had difficulties within our own religious groups because of our devotion to the many gods *as* the many gods. Sometimes it isn’t just a matter of orthopraxy. How much does it matter that an individual does the right motions in a rite when they’re busy thinking, “This god doesn’t really exist”? How can a rite give homage to a god when the rite, even though done with correct conduct and action, is at its foundation insincere? Sincerity and respect are intimate companions of one another."

    You have eloquently written words that have reflected my thoughts for years now. Thank you so much. It is wonderful to learn at last that I am not alone. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind reply, Arielle. This is why I do what I do. Yishlam le-ki, may you be blessed with peace and wholeness.

      Delete
  3. I always stand with my fellow polytheists, no mater what tradition, or Deities we worship, I think there should be unity between us all, Titus M Lupus, aka Wolf Paradox

    ReplyDelete